Applications for 2017 Summer Junior Sailing are now open
The course is open to Children aged between 7 – 18 years old and caters for all levels and runs for 3 weeks from the 3rd to the 21st of July. The final week is for the more advanced courses such as Advanced Boat Handling (ABH), Adventure, Kites & Wires etc. At this time it is hoped to run ABH & Adventure however this will ultimately depend on the Instructors we can employ, please indicate your preference for these advanced courses on the application form and we will stay in contact regarding this.
The Sailing Course is designed for Children to have FUN learning to sail in a safe environment, the ISA Certification, certainly up to Improving Skills will not be highlighted as the end goal of the Course. It is however an integral part of the syllabus and we understand that this pathway may be more important to some Children, this need will also be catered for. We are hoping that some groups will have the opportunity to camp on the lake under supervision and that for those who want it, that the “Adventure” theme will flavour this years course! As always the Club have a limited number of Optimists, Pico’s & Feva’s for hire, this will be on a first come, first served basis. We also will have the ISA Vago’s available for hire in Week 2 and possibly for Week 3. Please download and read Junior Sailing Course Information 2017
The ISA Cara na Mara for ages 7-10 provides a child focused approach to the introduction of sailing for children. The following LRYC Junior Sailing Course will run this summer over 2 weeks (July 3 – July 14) : Otters, Seals, Dolphins & Orcas. The Otters & Seals Summer Courses run for 10 half-days over the two weeks July 3 – July 14.
Cara na Mara is the ISA’s foundation sailing programme which focuses on delivering basic sailing skills and seamanship to 7 – 10 year olds. The programmes aims are;
· Providing a strong sailing skill foundation for newly interested junior sailors between the ages of 7 and 10 years old.
· Fostering enjoyment and participation
· Providing direction to clubs and junior pathways
· Teaching fair play and good sportsmanship
· Developing and increasing an awareness of the marine environment
The ISA Small Boat Sailing Scheme (SBSS) provides training for people using all types of small sailing boats. The following LRYC Junior Sailing Course 2017 will be run this summer for Juniors aged 11-18. Start Sailing and Basic Skills for 2 weeks (July 3rd -14th) and Improving Skills, Go Racing 1 or ABH or Adventure 1 for 3 weeks (July 3th – 21st).
· Start Sailing – By the end of this course sailors will be sailing in light wind conditions with assistance from their instructor. It is their first formal sailing course.
· Basic Skills – By the end of this course sailors will be sailing on their own in light wind conditions without assistance from their instructor. This means that at the end of this course they will be capable of rigging, launching, sailing and recovering their boat in light conditions without any assistance. It is important that as well as having the skills, they understand the circumstances in which it would be safe to do this.
· Improving Skills – To develop the skills and knowledge sailors need in order to set up and sail the boat more effectively and in moderate conditions. This course will also prepare them for the specialist courses ahead.
If you have any queries, please do contact us, preferably by email to: email@example.com or Telephone Niamh on 087 8308996. The fully completed Junior Sailing Course Application Form 2017 should be sent to: Niamh Croasdell, Sweet Briar Lane, Lower Kilmacud Road, Dublin 16. Closing date for applications is Friday 9th June 2017